Functional Safety Design, Verification & Validation
Today’s industrial facilities contain an ever-increasing number of equipment hazards. The potential to cause harm to people, equipment, facilities, products, and the environment is real and requires a focused effort to mitigate risks. Regardless of industry, functional safety is critical to success, and preventing worksite incidents is a top priority. LSI’s functional safety team can help.
What is functional safety?
The IEC 61508 defines functional safety as:
- The detection of a potentially dangerous condition resulting in the activation of a protective or corrective device or mechanism to prevent hazardous events arising or providing mitigation to reduce the consequence of the hazardous event.
- The part of the overall safety that depends on a system or equipment operating correctly in response to its inputs
All machinery poses hazards to employees and companies. By applying functional safety, you can reduce those hazards by using safety systems and front-end engineering to design those hazards out of the machines. First, an overall assessment of the system is required to determine how the safety-related control systems interact and how the functional safety hardware responds to operator inputs and its environment.
LSI’s Functional Safety Team
LSI brings over 35 years of industrial and safety controls experience. Our team of Functional Safety Professionals (with Functional Safety Professional and Functional Safety Technician certifications) can provide extensive functional safety services for OEMs and end-users, including:
- Safety system design for:
- New machines or production lines
- Existing machine circuit analysis, verification and validation to ensure compliance with applicable requirements
Maintaining a working understanding of the functional safety standards can be difficult for clients. This can result in an inconsistent and ineffective application of the various standards. LSI is committed to staying abreast of the latest requirements, ensuring clients have access to the expertise they need to navigate new or existing machinery’s safety standards. Our team routinely performs risk assessments, design, circuit analysis, verifications and validations that involve:
Services and Support
- Safety system risk assessment per EN/ISO 13849-1 and EN/IEC 62061
- Engineering documentation review, configuration, and safety function testing of protection device(s)
- Calculation or validation of the determination of failure probability (SIL, PL-calculation)
- System validation per EN/ISO 13849-2 and EN/IEC 62061
- Technical support, including safety system installation, commissioning, and validation
- Equipment design services
- Four-step safety control design based on:
- Risk assessment
- System design per risk assessment result
- Perform a system validation utilizing the generated documentation showing the expected PL or SIL level reached as determined by the system risk assessment.
For example: If a risk assessment indicates that the machine needs to meet a performance level of “c” then the design of the system falls under PLc. After the machine is wired, it is first verified and physical components assessed for the physical level of the installed components to determine if the components as a complete system meet the required PLc, then tested for functionality (validation).
Experienced Service Provider
At LSI, we believe that you should always leave work in the same condition as when you arrived. Organizational success is entirely dependent on the safety of personnel, facilities, and the environment. If you want a functional safety team on your side with a solid, proven foundation in process improvement, automation, systems integration, and manufacturing intelligence, let’s have a conversation. LSI listens.