Chemical Engineers work with clients to produce detailed process designs and simulations for new equipment, or to modify existing process designs to correct deficiencies.
This work involves the entire project life cycle, including creating job proposals for clients, performing the detailed process design, simulating the process, providing support during project start-up, and validating process performance after start-up.
Reports To: Branch Manager
Responsibilities for this job may include but are not limited to:
- Interface with customers to develop User Requirements documentation.
- Perform initial feasibility studies for proposed projects, resulting in a feasibility-level cost estimate and supporting documentation for the project.
- Analyze process data from existing plants to locate process bottlenecks, potential energy savings, root causes for off-spec products, or other process-related issues.
- Develop and review Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&ID).
- Perform mass and energy balance calculations.
- Work with Control Systems Engineers to ensure that instrumentation and final control elements are designed into the process for optimal process control.
- Develop process simulations for new and existing processes to validate designs.
- Communicate process design to Mechanical Engineers and Designers and verify that the piping and mechanical design is appropriate to meet the requirements of the process.
- Provide construction and start-up assistance to guarantee that the process is being constructed per design and provide technical support for issues that arise during construction and start-up.
- Validate process performance after start-up using Key Performance Indicators (KPI) or other methods determined by the User Requirements.
Required Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a related process engineering role.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Project Management experience including contractor oversight.
- Experience designing various unit operations such as chemical reactors, distillation columns, heat exchangers, vessels, etc.
- Experience with process design and simulation software.
- Experience working with a multi-disciplinary team of Engineers.