Level II / III Control Systems Engineer
Control Systems Engineers analyze user requirements and the design of process and/or mechanical equipment to design automation systems that control the process or machine in the desired manner.
The engineer uses knowledge and experience in instrumentation, control valves, Motors/VFDs, control system electrical design, and PLC/DCS programming to deliver an automation system that meets the user’s needs utilizing the minimum essential design. Control Systems Engineers display high integrity, a willingness to go beyond the ordinary to meet and exceed client expectations, a desire for continual challenge and development, and professional written and verbal communication skills.
Reports To: Branch Manager or Process Control Lead or Machine Control Lead
Responsibilities for this job may include but are not limited to:
- Develop control specification (control narratives) documentation based on User Requirements.
- Participates in initial feasibility studies for proposed projects, resulting in a feasibility-level cost estimate and supporting documentation for the project.
- Mark-up Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (P&IDs) for instrumentation and controls related changes and review drawings from the drafting team.
- Design low-voltage (up to 480V) electrical controls drawings, panel drawings, loop sheets, I/O drawings, and network drawings and review drawings from the drafting team.
- Develop programs for Distributed Control Systems (DCS) and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and/or oversee the program development done by others.
- Develop Human/Machine Interface (HMI) packages to work with the PLC/DCS.
- Execute testing plans for DCS and PLC programs to effectively test all aspects of a new program or program changes.
- Simulate the DCS/PLC program and test the system using the testing plan.
- Oversee electrical controls construction at the client’s site and verify that the system is being installed as designed. Provide technical support to the construction effort.
- Perform I/O checkout on the installed control system and document the checkout results.
- Provide post-commissioning support to the client’s operations, engineering, and maintenance personnel.
- Travel to the client’s site as required.
Required Job Qualifications:
- 3-5 years of experience in a similar engineering role
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical, or other relevant Engineering field
- At least 3-5 years’ experience with one or more of the following platforms:
- Allen Bradley PLC5, SLC500, MicroLogix, ControlLogix
- Siemens S7, PCS7
- Emerson DeltaV, Ovation, Provox
- Novatech D/3
- Honeywell Experion
- Foxboro I/A
- HMI configuration experience with one or more of the following platforms:
- Allen Bradley / Rockwell
- Experience in the application of instrumentation, control valves, motors, VFDs and coordinated drive systems.
- Some experience in electrical design of Electrical Panels, I/O systems, Motor/VFD/Motion/Robotic Controls, and Ethernet-based networks.
- Field experience troubleshooting electrical controls problems in an industrial environment.
- Industry experience in Food and Beverage, Chemical, Refining, Pulp and Paper, Oil/Gas Pipeline, Power Generation, Material Handling, or Packaging.