Level II-III Panel Fabricator
Under the direction of the Panel Shop Manager, the Panel Fabricator uses schematics to wire panels, control boxes, J-Boxes, PLCs, HMIs, and various other electrical components. The Panel Fabricator will also fabricate cut-outs in enclosures for various electrical hardware components. The use of different electrical and pneumatic hand tools is necessary to complete day-to-day tasks as is basic mechanical ability with other hand tools. Working knowledge of electrical schematics, electrical components, wire gauges, electrical standards, and wiring troubleshooting skills.
- Reads and interprets wiring diagrams, point-to-point wiring schedules, and schematics.
- Able to spot inconsistencies in drawings and discrepancies in paperwork and to ask or answer questions during assembly process.
- Able to commit to a deadline or relay to Panel Shop Manager when deadlines may slip.
- Work closely with electrical engineering team to resolve any issues.
- Performs routine tasks in preparation for assembly, such as cutting wire to specified size, stripping, and fastening terminal connections.
- Performs wiring of electrical components and labeling of all devices and wires.
- Able to determine if components need repair or are unrepairable. Repair when required.
- Uses common hand tools to prepare and assemble components, din rail and wire duct to complete electrical panels to print.
- Chooses appropriate wire colors and gauges required to complete wiring to all applicable codes, specifications, and regulations.
- Exercise safe work habits and maintain a clean and safe working area
- Field wiring of control cabinets into machinery if needed.
- Assist Engineers and Electrical Control Technicians with machine startup and debug.
- Arranges for packing and shipment of panels
- Experience working with lower level fabricators to answer questions.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Basic mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge of electrical wiring and component connections in accordance with UL and UL508A
- Proficient with industry electrical code, NEC, ANSI, NFPA, and OSHA
- 3-5 years of experience (minimum) in panel/machine wiring
- Ability to read electrical prints / schematics required
- Must be familiar with PLC, power supply and VFD wiring techniques
- Knowledge of many makes and models of components, how to install, and how to wire
- Ability to use multi-meter to read voltage, current and resistance required
- Knowledge of basic electrical theory