How Can OSIsoft PI Help Us Resurrect A Retired Biopharmaceutical Plant?
What Our Client Said
We’re starting up a mothballed biopharmaceutical plant, and we need help reinstalling an OSIsoft PI system to monitor the building management system (BMS) and process systems so we can release product when it is completed.
What We Heard
This is more than we can handle ourselves! Not only does the system need to be robust and redundant, it needs to span three network subnets, comply with our companies stringent global IT requirements and be fully validated. We need LSI’s expertise to put this all together.
What We Did
LSI utilized our specialized OSIsoft team with experience in PI system infrastructure, installation, configuration and validation. This team included an LSI OSIsoft PI expert with valuable, firsthand knowledge of the pharmaceutical industry.
These LSI experts collaborated with the customer to perform the PI system architecture, security measure integration, installation and configuration and Asset Framework model construction. We also added Infometrics Infobatch reporting software and provided training to staff as well as supported the system validation process. The resulting system was both comprehensive and reliable.
- PI system architecture design
- PI System security design and implementation
- PI System installation and configuration and Asset Framework model build
- 40,000 PI TAG Server with HA
- PI AF server with AF Analytics, Event Frames and PI Notifications
- PI Collective Suite
- OPC Interface
- GE iFix Interface
- RDBMS Interface
- PI Vision Server
- Manual Logger and Web Access for Manual Logger
- Tag tuning utilizing Compression Insight software
- Training on the administration of the OSIsoft PI system as well as on OSIsoft PI Visualization tools.
- Installation of the InfoMetrics InfoBatch reporting software
- Documentation To Support Validation:
- User Requirements Specification (URS)
- Functional Requirements Specification (FRS)
- Hardware Design Specification (HDS)
- Detailed Design Specification/Software Design Specification (DDS/SDS)
- Installation/Operation Qualification (IOQ)
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for Administrators and End Users
The Results Speak For Themselves
The system was successfully installed and collecting data per the deliverable schedule.
PI Improves Process Validation
With the data collection and analytical tools of PI, the customer is able to validate processes faster and with much less manual work compared to previous systems.
The InfoBatch exception reporting system has been configured and validated and is now providing indispensable data to the customer. For example, the InfoBatch reports will be used to release production lots.
LSI’s team of experts provided hands-on training for the customer’s technicians, allowing them to make the best use of the new PI software system.
LSI listened, then we put our OSIsoft team to work. Because this team had experience in the pharmaceutical industry, they understood the customer’s requirements, systems and goals. Rather than spending time learning about the industry, we were able to use that time studying the customer’s unique challenges, and it paid off in the end.
OSIsoft PI is a powerful tool that is complex to integrate. By working with LSI, this pharmaceutical giant was able to use the PI system for process control and product release when the plant was brought on line.